Rome, NY Sucks

But At Least We're Not Utica

Thursday, May 11, 2006

11 Months

That's the post mortem on my first CFL bulb. It didn't quite last the 5 years advertised, but the news is still pretty good. My estimate is that it lasted about 5500 of the 6000 hours listed on the package. In that time, I would have had to buy about 5 incandecent lights and paid 4 times as much for energy.

In my 340 days of use, I have saved over $30 over the cost of replacement and electricity costs. I used 250 kilowatt-hours less than I would have with a standard bulb. From this point forward, I plan to get a better quality CFL bulb with an 8000 hour lifespan and possibly a fixture that doesn't use little lifespan shortening clips.

3 Comments:

  • At May 12, 2006 11:32 AM, Blogger Roman Hokie said…

    Wow... Ironically, I'm working on a lighting project for work and have begun considering CFLs for the house. I already have T-8 technology in the basement classroom (2 fixtures with three 32W bulbs each - gotta have it be bright for the little students AND to make up for the fact that the classroom rarely sees sunlight!). I'm probably going to Home Depot or Lowes this weekend to stretch my dollar!

    Great posting!

     
  • At May 12, 2006 11:55 AM, Blogger Roman Hokie said…

    Few questions... 1) how many watts was this bulb, 2) what did you use it for that it was on 16 hours a day (wow!), 3) what watt bulb did it replace (I'm guessing a 15W replaced a 60W), 4) What "color/temperature" was the bulb?

    BTW, my place of employment 'idles' at 250kW over the weekend... That's one reason we're looking at new fixtures (T-5).

     
  • At May 19, 2006 6:34 PM, Blogger RomeHater said…

    Need a consultant? Anyway, My bulb was 9 watts which made it a bit dim. I'd go to 13 next. I have no idea what the color temp is. I'd suggest you go for a brand name like GE to get the warmest light.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home