Rome, NY Sucks

But At Least We're Not Utica

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Anonymity

Ain't no Republican like a New York Republican, 'cause a New York Republican don't stop acting like a Democrat.

Republican Assemblyman Jim Conte is the fool behind this bill and I would rather have a Democrat in his place because of it. He states that his legislation will reduce "mean-spirited and baseless political attacks” and “turns the spotlight on cyberbullies by forcing them to reveal their identity.”

That's bull. First of all, kids who are cyberbullied frequently know their tormentors. If they don't, said attacks will not occur on something as archaic as a newspaper's website. I do think it could have a chilling effect on political attacks, by subjecting people to real-life lawsuits for defamation by the same jackasses proposing this bill.

That's the thing. Internet anonymity is a gift to free speech. If that speech is abused or devolves into threats, the police have a mechanism to stop it. What anonymity does is require that criticism reach a sufficient level to get the authorities involved.

If you want to know why I don't use my "real" name on my blog, google the name "Brett Kimberlin." He managed to find the identity of a well-known blogger, get him and his wife fired from their jobs with the possibility of violent retaliation and got said blogger thrown in jail by a judge who didn't even understand what a blog is.

I was threatened with exposure because of my posts about the Rome, NY school board. Good luck. "Clues" to my identity are frequently lies. Plus, I don't give a crap about the school system any more. I'm just saving up to get out. This bill is just another reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home