Rome, NY Sucks

But At Least We're Not Utica

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Another Lie From Best Buy

Not only is Best Buy keeping sale products from customers. Now, they are separating you from the products that you've already purchased. The Post Standard carried the story of Raelyn Campbell, who is suing the retail chain over a lost laptop. When she took it in for repair, Best Buy lost the laptop. They then proceeded to not inform her that the laptop could be lost due to theft or that her personal information was vulnerable for months after it was lost. Best Buy also tried to buy her off with $2500 and a non-disclosure agreement.

I used to think that if I ever bought a laptop, I would get the extended warranty because it's a fairly good protection value. Now, I think I'll take my chances with fixing any prolem myself and keeping the computer in my hands.

Campbell's blog

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At February 24, 2008 10:25 PM, Blogger Rebecca Mecomber said…

    This is an instance where small businesses fill a perfect niche. Small businesses are much more accountable. I only take my computers and other personal and electronic items for repairs at a locally-owned repair shop.

    From our food supply to our government to our shopping, I think we are going to see a trend toward locally-owned businesses. Who knows, maybe we'll even have communities again! The bureaucracies have gotten far, far too big for their britches.

     
  • At February 25, 2008 9:40 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    True enough--I never buy extended warranties. Like you, I'd rather take my chances.

    Mrs.Mecomber is absolutely right--this is where you trust your local handyman or other small business.

    Best Buy has become more and more aggravating to me, from the enforced greeting as you walk in the door to the stalking in the store. They *say* there are no commissions, but I don't believe that. Why would the employees harass me so if there were no commission or other kind of sales quota?

     
  • At February 26, 2008 5:42 PM, Blogger RomeHater said…

    Actually, they just don't *pay* comissions. But if you don't perform, the manager suffers. And if that happens, you find your hours cut and your job duties unpleasant.

     
  • At February 26, 2008 5:46 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Aaaaaah, negative reinforcement. Now THAT's quality management.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home