Rome, NY Sucks

But At Least We're Not Utica

Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Family Dollar

While looking for work today, I read about the Family Dollar distribution center set for construction in Rome, NY. I think work coming into the area is a good thing. I'm not sure how much of the Rome Sentinel's hype will come to pass. Right now, 50 of the 450 jobs at the center are already filled. The 400 jobs in Rome will probably be filled by many non-Romans given the current hiring patterens in other local companies. I am also dubious of the $11-12 per hour figure since the last time I was at a distribution center, I was making closer to $7.

I look forward to the actual employment figure. In a year, when it's supposed to go ito operation. Assuming there isn't a delay or Rome decides to raise property taxes, or the Rome School Board takes over the entire base for a new campus.

3 Comments:

  • At March 04, 2005 8:53 PM, Blogger Craig Howard said…

    Well, it's nothing to sneeze at. It is work, it's an option for people who've been laid off from other places. Of course, the taxpayers are subsidizing it.

    According to this, we're subsidizing them to the tune of some $10 million dollars (with more in the outlying years.)

    This is where we are in NYS. Business can't prosper unless the state gives it tax breaks. And the state picks and chooses whom will get those.

    I'm sure there's a secret deal cut each year amongst the big 3 over the amount of bribes to business that can be built into the budget.

    The bribes allow for press releases and TV appearances for Pataki. Cutting taxes would be more effective but wouldn't provide any "grease."

    Just cut the taxes and make the whole state an "Empire Zone."

     
  • At March 04, 2005 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    11 to 12 an hour. I heard 8, oh well thats might have been a complaining number by someone. It sure is nice that we are getting somehting like this in but the location is a little weird. Next to the air strip? Why not save that space for somehting that might actually use the runway. The news was actually mentioned on some syracuse channels. Lets hope this helps rome on the road to recovery.

     
  • At March 05, 2005 6:52 AM, Blogger RomeHater said…

    I think I may have been a little negative in this regard, but Rome and EDGE likes to overpromise and underdeliver. My guess is that anonymously sourced $11/hour figure is probably high and that these jobs are not coming for at least a year.

    The tax breaks concern me. The county breaks directly affect property taxes for other business. Federal and state monies spent will have a smaller but real impact as well, since they ultimately lead to higher taxes for us.

    Four hundred jobs will be nice for the area, but I really hope I'm not still looking by the time they take applications.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home