Rome, NY Sucks

But At Least We're Not Utica

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Tax Cut Now

The "Blog This" button works pretty well. Unlike the Rome Sentinel, there was a pretty good story about the county's tax increase from News 10 Now. They talked to some shoppers and store owners in Rome in regard to their shopping habits. I couldn't be much more pleased with the results.


"I'll do some shopping in Oneida County. Little things but if I have major school shopping or major purchases I wouldn't mind going to Syracuse or someplace else to save the money and also send a message that it's just ridiculous that we have to keep paying all these taxes," said Tracy Weimer, a shopper.

"I just bought some small items. Primarily I don't really plan on buying any big items but small items naturally I'll keep shopping here. Any big items I will you know go elsewhere," said Mike Grogan, a shopper.


And here's a little bit of denial from a store employee.


"Today I think it's slow a little bit with the weather and some with the sales tax," said Debbie Herper, JC Penney employee.


The weather was snowy but pretty clear this afternoon and Penny's had about 5 cars in the lot. Dollar Tree was still busy because cheap junk is cheap junk. The important point is that major dollar purchases will be made elsewhere by many people just to 'send a message.'

News 10 points out that Onondaga County (Syracuse) may have a 9% tax soon, but that has no effect on my Herkimer/Madison County table.

1 Comments:

  • At March 02, 2005 9:43 PM, Blogger Craig Howard said…

    My brother who lives in Charlotte now and who, sadly, doesn't read my blog religiously, noticed that Chautauqua County (our home) raised its sales tax to 8.5%.

    His subject line was "Get Out!"

    Only in NY do we accept it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home